- 1 pound ziti(Cooked al dente, drain and rinse under cool water)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (I used a jarred sauce called Patsy's)
- 2 cups besciamella (directions below)
- 1 pound of fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups of whole milk
1 to 2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the flour, stirring till light golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly. Cook till thickened, about 10 minutes, remove from heat. Season with salt and nutmeg, let cool.
Place drained cooked ziti in a large bowl. Add the tomato sauce, basciamella, mozzarella and Parmigiano to the ziti. Mix and stir well. I divided the pasta into 8 individual gratin dishes. A 9 by 13 dish works great as well. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbling and crusty on top. Serve immediately.