Sunday, December 27, 2009

Lump Crabmeat with Russian Dressing






My mother made this crab dish on New Years Eve for as long as I can remember. As a child I would watch the adults swarm in, scooping up the fresh crab meat with the warm pumpernickel bread. For a brief moment, no one would speak, just eat . As I became interested in cooking, my mother would always say, 'keep it simple, just always start with the freshest ingredients.'. So for this New Years Eve (if you can), spurge and spend 28 bucks on a container of jumbo lump crab meat. You and your guests will bring in the New Year with delicious style, just don't forget the champagne.

Russian Dressing

  • 3/4 cup Hellman's mayo
  • 2 to 3 Tablespoons of ketchup
  • a few shakes of red wine vinegar
  • ground pepper

A pound of jumbo lump crab meat (or what you can afford..this dish is really not worth making if you use the little 2 dollar cans from the supermarket)

1 lemon

Sliced pumpernickel or rye bread

Mix ingredients together for Russian dressing. In a separate bowl gently toss crab meat with lemon juice. I usually do all of the above in the morning, so when I serve it later on everything is nicely chilled.

When ready to serve, warm bread. Place crab meat on plate, with Russian dressing . Serve with warm pumpernickel bread.

15 comments:

  1. Yikes, is there something wrong, cause I want it now!

    Your lighting is beautiful, must have a sun porch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks so good. Crab meat is on sale this week - everywhere - so will give it a whirl. Lots of people must have New year's crab meat traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I think your mama was right- simple is best, and less stressful when having company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something decacdent about having crab on New Year's Eve - I usually have it in the form of ravioli because its less expensive, but one year I did get Alaskan King Crab! Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh...Love it. I want it with some crusty bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Yes! This dish is screaming to me, sounds perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man does this ever look good. The crab meat is divine...gorgeous big chunks! Yum.
    Russian dressing is wonderful; my father loved it on iceberg lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I am officially drooling. Everything here is just delicious. Let me at it!
    happy new years daaaaaaaaaahling.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm, a perfect way to bring in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Lump Crabmeat! What a treat! Great idea for New Year's. Russian dressing is always a welcome addition to seafood. I remember eating it with cold shrimp.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be back:)
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious, and your mother was certainly right--keep it simple and fresh and you can't go wrong!

    Hungry Dog

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a great NYE's tradition! What a great sauce to go with crab!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I absolutely love seafood with this sort of dressing and a Russian dressing sounds so exotic but it's so doable-thankyou! :D

    ReplyDelete