Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sauted onion and zucchini lasagna


Before we head into Labor day I have to post one last zucchini recipe. You may like this one so much that you find yourself buying zucchini in the dead of winter. The ingredients are fairly simple, and its a nice change from traditional lasagna. So start slicing those zucchinis nice and thin before you never want to look at another zucchini again.

  • About 6 cups of onions sliced thin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup of dry white wine
  • 1 pound zucchini sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 3 cups)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 1/2 cups whole milk
  • freshly grated nutmeg to taste
  • 3 7 inch squares instant no boil lasagna
  • 1 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a large pan cook onions in 2 tablespoons of butter, season with salt and ground pepper. Cook over low heat, covered for about 30 minutes till very tender and slightly golden. After 30 minutes remove lid, cook for 15 more minutes, adding wine. Continue to stir as onions lightly brown. Cook until most of wine is evaporated. Stir in fresh thyme, place onion mixture in bowl.

Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 8 inch square baking dish. Wipe out pan that onions cooked in. Cook half of zucchini in 1 tablespoon of butter in one layer till tender and lightly golden, about 5 minutes(flip over at half way point). Place in a small bowl. Cook remaining zucchini the same way in 1 tablespoon of butter. In small heavy sauce pan melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Add flour and cook roux. Continue to whisk for 3 to 4 minutes. Add milk in a stream, constantly whisking. Bring milk and flour mixture to a simmer. Add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer sauce till thickened about 2 to 3 minutes.

Spread a few tablespoons of sauce on bottom of buttered dish. Top with 1 lasagna square, half of onions, half of zucchini, a third more sauce and a third of Parmesan. Repeat. Top with remaining lasagna square, sauce and Parmesan. Be sure to press down to make sure lasagna squares are covered in sauce and onion mixture.

Bake lasagna for 30 to 40 minutes till golden. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.

20 comments:

  1. I could get into this delish plate of goodness...I love sauteed onions and zucchini as well anytime...anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! The sauteed onions must add a lot of flavors to this dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo, perfect way to use zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. Had an overabundance of zucchini in my garden. Will try this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A zucchini lasagna sounds outstanding! I will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Zucchini Grand Idea I will try it Soon !

    Thank you for sharing your blog and your recipe:)


    Welcome~~~
    http://foodcreate.com

    Have a wonderful Day ~~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems that zucchini is going in full this summer, I have seen a lot of post with dishes using it but yours looks like something my son will eat. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad for another zucchini recipe, since I'm still trying to use it up! This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting, I wonder if my Zuchinni hating family would like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zucchini lasagna looks pretty yummy-healthy too!
    I wish I saw this recipe a few weeks ago, zucchini was peaking here in North Florida and I ran out of recipe ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you're right! I definitely WILL be buying zucchinis dead in the winter to make this beautiful and soul-warming dish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful lasagna meal. I would love to try this as I like zucchini too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm starving now... that sounds so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love this! I am loving the creative and tasty ways to use the zucchini harvest. The carmelizied onions really enhance the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks amazing!! I love zucchini. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks nice:) I'm more familiar with eggplant lasagna. But zucchini would be great too:)

    CheapAppetite from foodbuzz

    ReplyDelete