Saturday, May 2, 2009

Deviled Eggs with Marinated Shrimp


Deviled eggs? No thanks. As a holiday gift quite a while back, some individual who will remain nameless presented me with a Tupperware deviled egg storage container. I'm assuming it was for travel purposes. I'm now using it to store buttons, works quite nicely I might add. I always perceived deviled eggs as an appetizer that has been WAY over done. Several years ago I lived in North Carolina. At our 1st staff luncheon 11 out of 30 women brought, yup you guess it..deviled eggs. Many varieties arrived, relish, mustard, mayo, no mayo, paprika, no paprika. The entire conference table was covered in 132 deviled eggs. Yup, you guessed it again..all were consumed at an amazing pace, I watched in disbelief. Following that meeting I was done, I decided deviled eggs are boring and amateurish. Ten years later I came across Govind Armstrongs deviled eggs with marinated shrimp. I'm a convert, now I'm not saying I want 132 of them at a staff meeting, but I am saying that they are a refreshing change that your guests will appreciate. The marinated shrimp really adds a nice touch. So if you yawn at the thought of eating another deviled egg, or perhaps your actually a fan of them, give them a try. They certainly would have turned some heads at my Southern Staff luncheon.


Marinated Shrimp

  • 1 Tb whole grain mustard
  • 1 ts chopped flat leaf parsley
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 Tb olive oil
  • Splash of Tabasco sauce
  • salt and Pepper
  • 8 cooked shrimp peeled, deveined and split in half lengthwise


Deviled Eggs

  • 8 organic large eggs, hardboiled and peeled
  • 1 ts Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
  • 1 ts prepared horseradish
  • 2 ts fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 ts cayenne pepper
  • Salt and Pepper

For the shrimp marinade combine the mustard, parsley and lemon juice, whisk until smooth. Add the olive oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Whisk in the tabasco, then add salt and pepper. Place the shrimp in the marinade for 1 hour before serving.

Carefully split each egg in half lenghthwise, scoop the yolk into a bowl. Set whites aside. Add mustard, mayo, horseradish, lemon juice and cayenne pepper to the egg yolks, whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the yolk mixture in to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4 inch star tip and pipe the mixture into the egg halves. Or do what I often do and place the egg mixture into a ziplock bag with a small corner cut off, works quite nicely. Remove shrimp from their marinade, and top each stuffed egg with a shrimp half.

1 comment:

  1. Now we love a deviled egg, and then you went and threw shrimp on it. YES!!!!

    ReplyDelete