Friday, January 2, 2009

Roasted Eggplant and Pepper Dip


I think this is the only appetizer remaining in my refrigerator from the holidays that I'm not entirely sick of. Ive tried several variations of eggplant dip, this ones the winner. Its very forgiving..don't have zucchini? Don't worry about it. The best part is it keeps in the fridge for up to 2 week, just seal the top with a little olive oil. Last night I spread some on a grainy roll with some cukes, sprouts and a little goat cheese. It will become your go to dip.


  • 1/4 cup of olive oil

  • 2 red peppers chopped

  • 1 eggplant

  • 2 large tomatoes chopped

  • 1 small chopped zucchini

  • 4 cloves of garlic diced

  • 1 ts Hungarian paprika

  • 1 ts ground cumin

  • juice of 1 lemon

  • small handful of chopped parsley

  • salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450, cut eggplant in 1/2 lengthwise. Drizzle cut side with a little olive oil and sprinkle of salt. Roast cut side down 30 to 45 minutes. Eggplant should appear slightly wrinkled and a wee bit deflated. Remove from oven, let cool. Scoop out eggplant flesh, discard skin.Pour remaining oil into pan, cook peppers 8 minutes, add tomatoes zucchini, garlic. paprika, cumin, lemon juice salt and pepper. Cook until softened and slightly brown. Combine pepper mixture and eggplant, process till well combined. I like mine a little chunky, others prefer it very smooth. Adjust seasoning and enjoy with crackers, chips, warm pita or leaves of Belgian endive.

2 comments:

  1. I had this healthy, satisfying dip last night and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. I am printing it out right now and headed to the grocery store to purchase the ingredients. This blog is a gift. Not everyone can be a guest in Ms. Figtree's house but I am one often and I count my lucky stars. Last night she served it with jicama. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! The link to your blog did not appear, but hopefuly I found it! :)
    This dip looks very addictive ;)

    ReplyDelete