Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Gazpacho in Cucumber Cups





I was at a wedding years ago, I remember just one thing about it. They had this gigantic ice sculpture that had a waterfall of vodka pouring out, don't ask how they did it. Anyway, surrounding this waterfall was an assortment of carved out vegetables, yellow squash, green squash, cucumbers all filled will ice cold vodka. Guests would knock down the shot, then put the empty carved out cucumber under the water fall and knock down another, and another, and another and another. Everyone ignored the carving station of baby lamb chops, the sushi bar, the smoked fish bars, this vodka waterfall captivated all. Well, being the foodie that I am, sadly the evening did not go well. I spent the night on the floor the bathroom in my lovely cocktail dress getting very very sick. It was not a pretty scene. I know now, I'm just not a drinker. I stick with the food, avoiding vodka waterfalls and all is good.







For some reason those little carved out cucumber cups always stuck in my mind. I remembered everything about these little containers, yet nothing about the brides dress, couldn't even tell you what the entree was. Then one day while perusing through a magazine in my dentist office I once again saw those little cucumber cups. This time it was Martha filling them with ice cold gazpacho. There are so many different recipes for gazpacho, I feel like I have tried most of them. I always seem to come back to the one I'm sharing with you today. No fancy vinegars, no bread, just a mixture of delicious vegetables with a nice handful of cilantro. I just came in from sitting out on my deck sipping gazpacho out of my missing handle golden retriever coffee mug. When friends stop by I like them to think I'm sophisticated, so I slip off the Pj's that Ive been in all day, put on something cute and serve this gazpacho in carved out cucumber cups. They oohhh and ahhhhhh as if I carved a 10 foot sculpture of Buddha. I wouldn't dare tell them I stole the idea from MARTHA!!!



Gazpacho





  • 1 red pepper diced



  • 1 jalapeno pepper finely diced, seeds removed of course



  • 1 small red onion diced



  • 1 pound of tomatoes, diced



  • 1 seedless cucumber, peeled diced



  • Handful chopped cilantro



  • 1/2 cup tomato juice



  • 2 tb olive oil



  • 1 Tb red wine vinegar



  • 2 Tb lime juice



  • 1 ts salt



  • pepper



In food processor combine bell pepper, jalapeno, red onion, tomatoes, cucumber and cilantro. Add the tomato juice, olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper. Process till smooth.Chill gazpacho for about 6 hours, or over night to let flavors blend. To serve pour in small bowls and garnish with diced cucumbers.




If your feeling inspired to make cucumber cups trim ends of 2 seedless cucumbers. I usually peel one, then leave the other one with skin on as long as its not to waxy. I cut them into 1 1/2 inch pieces. With small melon baller carefully scoop out the insides of each piece, leaving a 1/4 inch border. Important to also leave 1/2 inch on the bottom!!! Fill up with a few tablespoons of gazpacho and toast to a wonderful summer with family and friends.

19 comments:

  1. Oh...the cucumber containers for the soup is so cute!!!! I will have to make some. -Tien :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try this recipe. I have some martini glassees that are 2" tall that I like to serve things out of and this recipe will be great.
    www.rosemaryandthegoat.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had gazpacho for years! This is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I try to boycott Martha whenever possible! Not to say she doesn't have great ideas, but I just don't think she's a very nice person, or so it seems, lol. I've never had gazpacho but I'm curious now. Is it like a soup?

    Also thanks for the comments on my blog. Yes hard to believe I'm 25, huh? I guess I've just had a lot of time to think about things. Hope you enjoyed your lemon drop martini ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! That's really cool! cucumber cups! Very appropriate for summer and cold gazpacho!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever idea. Love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cucumber cups are fantastic! Believe or not, I've never tried gazpacho before. I heard or read this name a few times somewhere, but had no idea what it is. It sounds a perfect summer delicacy.
    zerrin

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever and cute. Great presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even Martha has cute ideas on occasion. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weather is getting hot here. I guess it is a good time to try this recipe. Thanks! You mean one TB of vinager, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea!!! I love gazpacho and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so cute and original. thnaks for your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never tried gazpacho before, sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great idea... little "shots" of gazpacho!

    I'm not generally a big Martha fan myself, but sometimes I've got to admit she has great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so creative, and it makes for such a beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! And I love gazpacho -- can't wait for my tomatoes to ripen so I can make it all from my yard.

    I love your blog, by the way -- thank you for finding my soup so that I could find you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How pretty! I am loving this and always look for new ideas for presentation. I tend to cook - and then just serve! Thanks so much for visiting me. I'll be back. After I make this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cucumber cups are a great idea. I think I'll try doing this next time we're entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute and creative! I will be making these soon!

    ReplyDelete