Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Thai Carrot Bisque


I beg of you, don't use those those woody, tasteless mini carrots for this yummy bisque. I may eat them if I'm desperate, or if I'm at a gathering and the host is serving them with supermarket onion dip, and I'm absolutely starving. Notice how they turn a whitish color after sitting out for a while. People have forgotten how a carrot is supposed to really taste. Fresh organic carrots, you know the ones with the green tops that rabbits eat, make a huge difference. Now that I got that out of the way, it's been a chilly damp day . At work I was preoccupied with the ingredients that made up this soup recipe. I got it right, hope it warms you up.


  • 2 to 3 Tb olive oil

  • 2 med. diced yellow onion
  • 1 to 2 ts freshly grated ginger

  • 2 ts freshly chopped garlic

  • 2 ts cumin
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 2 bunches carrots peeled and chopped

  • About 3 quarts of chicken or vegatable stock

  • 2 13 oz cans coconut milk (I recently tried light coconut milk and it was fine).

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

  • 1/4 cup soy sauce

In a large heavy pot drizzle in olive oil. Add diced onions. Cook till translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, salt, cook 5 to 10 more minutes. Deglaze pan with white wine, add carrots and stock. Simmer till carrots are tender. Remove from heat, stir in brown sugar, cool for 30 minutes. Once the soup has cooled off a bit add coconut milk and soy sauce. Pour in blender, or use hand blender till smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment