Friday, March 6, 2009

Roasted Peppers Served with Parmigiano Reggiano


      It seems like I spent my entire childhood sitting in Italian restaurants  with my father watching him eat  roasted peppers and  tuna.  As he soaked up whatever was left on the plate with crusty bread, I thought to myself 'how gross." I actually have no memory of him not ordering this dish.  I'm not quite ready  to add the canned tuna, but now I am happy to admit I'm a lover of roasted peppers served with  a good loaf of crusty bread. Serve this on a big platter  with plenty of bread  and   nice slivers of Parmigiano Reggiano.  With a nice bottle of red wine you just may not make it to dinner.

  • 2 red peppers
  • 2 yellow peppers
  • 2 green peppers
  • 3 small cloves of garlic crushed
  • 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 to 3 Tb chopped fresh basil
  • Kosher salt
  • ground pepper
  • 2 Tb Balsamic vinegar
  • Chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano
  • Italian Bread


Roast the peppers under the broiler, turn them every few minutes. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes. Once they turn black, carefully remove them, place them in a bowl covered with foil so they can steam. This takes about 10 minutes. When the peppers are cool , remove the skin , seeds and white pith. Cut peppers into nice julienne strips, about 2 inches long. Add olive oil, garlic, basil, salt and ground pepper. Toss. Add Balsamic vinegar.  Toss again. Let peppers sit at room temperature for about 1 hour.  Serve  and enjoy this  this colorful and delicious appetizer.

1 comment:

  1. Anything with roasted peppers is bound to be good! Especially when combined with a gourmet cheese like that!
    Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete