I never realized that feta and shrimp could be the best of friends. Yes indeed, they are real chums now. I served this the other night to a hungry crowd. They agreed its the perfect marriage and you will to. I was feeling fancy so I cooked the shrimp and feta in individual shells which is not necessary as any individual ovenproof dish will be fine.
- 1 1/2 Pounds of large shrimp shelled and deveined
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 to 3 Tb butter
- 2 shallots minced
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 3 med. tomatoes peeled chopped into a small dice and drained. I don't need to tell you how to peel a tomato do I? Ok ok..Cut an X into tomato skin, throw in boiling water, take out 30 seconds later, put in cold water...peel with ease.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 Tb chopped fresh basil (if you don't like basil use dill)
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 pd Feta crumbled
- Parsley for garnish
Rinse off shrimp and sprinkle with lemon juice. Melt butter in pan and cook shallots till they begin to slightly golden. Add tomato sauce , chopped tomatoes, parsley, basil, garlic salt and pepper. Use wooden spoon to mash chopped tomatoes. Simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat .
Butter individual oven proof dishes and spoon about 3 Tb of sauce into each dish. Place a few shrimp on top and then spoon more sauce over the shrimp. Finally, sprinkle crumbled feta on the top. Place dishes into a baking pan and bake about 20 minutes at 350. When cheese has melted, remove from oven. I usually pull out a shrimp to make sure they are fully cooked. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot. Make sure you serve with good crusty bread .